Tuesday 19 March 2013

Post Equinox

Hey Guys

So Equinox has been and gone.  I had 6 great games against 6 great opponents and won best sport.
Went 2-2-2 which is really disappointing.  My second worst ever tournament finish.  I came away a little despondent.  I think I played Ok.  A couple of failed re rollable LD 9 tests cost me big and turned 2 big wins into a loss and a draw.  Oh well, shit happens.

Warriors were strong as everyone thought.  Only played one, and was able to take the daemon prince out first turn, and then proceeded to get tabled....yup. Losing 16-4.  Treason of Tzeentch is a frickin awesome spell....Fear it.
Very well done to Russel though, you played really well and I played like a chump.


I need one of these.

Thanks sooo much to Rory for the accommodation and rides to and from the airport. You are a fucking champ mate, absolute legend of the Auckland scene.

To be honest, I was a little disappointed with the tournament as a whole.  4 games on one day was shit.  I think it cost me in the last game against Russel.  I understand that it was due to venue fuck ups and flight times, but it wasn't fun. I would rather play 5 games over two days, than 4 on a day to get 6 in.

This also made the rounds shorter, which puts pressure on everyone.  2 hours 15 for 2400pts I dont think is long enough.  And on day 2 the rounds felt even shorter, I think like 2 hours, which is just crazy.
A lot of the games on day 2 were only getting 3-4 turns in, which seriously hinders some armies and builds.

Packing up on the Saturday night after 4 games wasn't fun, but understand it had to be done.  Myself and Rory turned up a little early on the Sunday, and we had to literally set up the ENTIRE hall, with the help of the Northern boys and a couple of others.  Seriously, we had to set up all the tresses and boards plus terrain...for fantasy and 40k.  I don't mind helping out, I think everyone should chip in, but if we hadn't of been there early, I hate to think what time the day would have started.  Especially as I had flown up from out of town, I don't really expect to be the forman of setup!

 Another problem was the comp.  I don't really understand a couple of things.  Getting LOS's from the big spells is silly, it just promotes the Deathstar build. Unnecessary. But my biggest bugbear is using TLOS with infinitely high hills, I don't get it.  Warhammer is a game that is made for TLOS.  JUST BUILD TALLER HILLS AND GET RID OF THE RULE!! Seriously, look at the GW terrain, you can easily hide things behind those hills!

I don't do it often....


Congrats to Tim, Ross and Dan.  All really good players and totally deserving of their placings. It was good to pick your brain Tim re the Chaos Dwarfs, some really good discussion.

I want to see all you Aucklanders down at Wellington some stage in the near future.  OH and I will be getting that celebrity Mug off you Tim.......

Later Fuckers.



  

19 comments:

  1. Couldn't agree more about the hills....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day Jeff, Sam,

      I think hills (and forests) should block LOS. It would make terrain more important, something I feel is lacking in the current game, as it sets up avenues of approach towards the enemy that are masked by terrain. It would serve as a check on war machines and encourage monsters other than Regen or flying ones.

      Modelling hills to be TLOS blockers would see hills around 50+mm high, possibly higher to mask dragons and greater daemons. Balancing a movement tray on one of those suckers is not fun, and if it has gentle slopes, then it risks becoming truly massive to give any meaningful cover, due to the area covered by the slope. I'm not sure if many of us have the time or money or space to build, buy and store such hills anyway; I know I don't.

      To me, the hills don't represent hills such as the Tararua or Rimutaka ranges. They represent the folds and undulations in the ground that are present on almost all battlefields. A rise only has to be about 2m to block LOS to infantry, and folds in the ground have the same effect. We can't model folds and dead ground, so I think having hills do this is a nice compromise.

      Properly dense forests can be achieved by putting 20 trees onto a forest base, but how many of us can and will spend the money or time on that. And if you did, what happens when a unit enters the forest and the trees are moved? Can you now see through it, as the model trees are gone?

      I like greater realism in my games, even ones with dragons and magic and stuff. It gives a solid foundation on which the fantasy stuff can be built, and makes if more tangible to me. Having hills and forests block LOS is a step forward in that for me.

      Delete
  2. 100% agree with all your points Sam, oh except for the mug. You'll have to pry that out of my cold dead hands...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really Tim...reading the comments on your blog's write up on Equinox the consensus (you, Dan, Rory and James) was that it was a great event.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, I had fun, my major criteria for that is opponents, not game length. And, I just had a good run at EQ. Relegates venue swap and round length back a few notches.

      Could it have been better? Hells fkn yeah. But change those things and give me the 5 worst opponents I can imagine, and I would have hated every second of it.

      Delete
  3. In the end Sam I was really glad that I missed Equinox. All the things you mentioned would have pissed me off no end. Especially game lengths of 2-2.15 hours. What an absolute joke.

    I certainly would have viewed that as money wasted as there are certain armies that benefit from truncated games and others that require the whole six turns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. Even I would have struggled to complete a game in 2.15 hours.

      Why on earth did the hall have to be cleared at what, 10 o'clock at night, only to be reset in the morning?

      By the sound of it it certainly would have taken the shine of the weekend for me.

      Delete
    2. Come on Neil, I thought you were a 1.30 hour man!! We had to pack up tables because there was a fuck up and we had to move venues. So different venues for Sat and Sun.

      Delete
  4. There was also the problem with the lists.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam, would you mind letting us know what was that problem?
      Its nice to know these things so you can make sure you avoid them when organising a tournament.
      PM if you prefer.

      Delete
    2. Nah all good mate. Lists weren't released until 2 days before tournament. We were told to use a certain format for lists, that was pretty much impossible. All the released lists were formatted differently and really hard to read. No names were sent with lists, and there were many mistakes. The list were published with google something, and were accessible for a night before access was denied.

      If a vermin tide type template was used, there would have been no issue.

      Delete
    3. It's really a good idea to release the lists at least a week before the tournament as the players end up checking them for mistakes, therefore reducing the chance of illegal lists being played...

      Delete
    4. Agree, it also promotes name calling and pointing and laughing, which is always good. Adss to the hype of the tourney.

      Delete
  5. Sam I agree with all your points bro....it was more like work than a tournament and I was totally shattered by its end.
    However, I was glad to see lots of new faces on the scene (which bodes well for Warhammer) including two Nerdymen Mike Youngs and Sean Robertson who both finished well.
    Welcome to stay anytime mate....loved having you guys up here...I'll always remember that jackpot too....last spin ftw!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, getting new faces is always good for the hobby. Can't believe I was sitting at the next machine when you won!

      Delete
  6. Agree with you points Sam, but Ross Andre and I still had a blast at Equinox. Will never forget Rory's shit eating grin when he waked back to the table with close to a grand from the pokies. Awesome to meet you guys, and look forward to seeing you next year.
    George

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was great to meet you guys too. Yeah fuckin jammy bastered!!

      Delete